Tuesday, July 3, 2012

My Refuge

It's been a whole week since my last post. I'm sure you have all been on the edge of your seats waiting to read again! Sometimes I wish there were a punctuation mark that could properly denote sarcasm; I would end that last sentence with it.

To say the least, this week has been very busy. Very fun, but very busy. It included half a dozen coffee and lunch dates, a sleepover with some very energetic and funny friends, some wonderful weekend house guests, a girls' day in Birmingham, and a fun-filled wedding weekend for some very close friends. Whew! I'm a little tired just thinking back on it. I wouldn't have changed any of it though. 

Life just gets like that sometimes, right? A little chaotic. A lot exhausting. The good news is that when we're spinning around, teetering on the back of our heels and ready to hit the ground at any moment, God beckons us to find peace in Him. He is constant in our spinning chaos. In Psalm 91:1-2, the psalmist creates a beautiful picture of this: 
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." (NIV 1984, emphasis added)
As a wise friend pointed out to me a few months ago, the psalmist refers to places for calm times (shelter and shadow) and for chaotic times (refuge and fortress). I love that! Yes, He is the same whether my circumstances are peaceful or insane, but no matter what my situation, I can find Him there. During calm times I may walk to His shadow, but during chaotic times I will most likely run to my refuge.

When she was teaching on this subject, my friend stressed the importance of having my own place where I meet with the Lord regularly. There are a few places in our house where I can sit to read and write, but I still haven't found the place that's just right for me. I'm like a real life Goldilocks. One seat is too rigid. One is too out in the open. One is under the air vent which means a blanket is necessary, but a blanket is in the way as I read and write. And I think we all know the solution to that problem. Snuggie.

So in order to avoid the embarrassment of someone walking in to find me doing the Macarena in my royal blue Snuggie (you know you wanted to join in when you saw that dance party on the commercial), I have made it my new mission to find the perfect "refuge chair." It may take one serious trip to the furniture store for a brand new one, rescuing an old retired perfect chair to gut and reupholster, or just a year of sitting in every single chair I walk by and lots of apologies to the oh so patient husband. Point being, I haven't a clue where this refuge chair is. I'll be praying for guidance and direction as I search. That's right, I'll pray about a chair. Philippians 4:6 says it's okay: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

Until next time, I'll be seat hopping around the house. And call before you come over in case I've chosen to bear the Snuggie.


No comments:

Post a Comment