Monday, June 25, 2012

Good News

Over the last couple weeks, I have been reading through Proverbs. Just one a day. It's not the deepest of studies, but I'll take what I can get these days in between diaper changes and never-ending laundry.

A wise friend told me recently that our time in the Word will look different in every stage of life. "But," she said, "it needs to look like something." So, I pray before I begin to read that God will give me some kind of word to cling to that day, even though my time looks small.

Something. Anything. He knows exactly what I need, so I trust that He'll give it to me through His living Word. And He always does.

This morning I was overwhelmed as I read Proverbs 25:25, "Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land." I got that burning lump in my throat and big ole crocodile tears in my eyes because I know about this kind of news. I'm living in this truth right now. In real life.

The ministry in which my husband and I serve just welcomed back a large group of students from a week at camp in Colorado. While they were there, they were presented with the great news that Jesus paid the penalty for our sin, making a way for us to live with our Creator for eternity in Heaven! As with any new information that's presented, these students had a choice: leave it or receive it. 

What an incredible joy it is to say that 23 of them received Jesus into their hearts! 
Praise the Lord, oh my soul!

That is good news from the "distant land" of Colorado. And it has refreshed my soul, just like the verse says it would. So I am happily filling my schedule with coffee dates and lunches with sweet friends so that I can take in every word that they'll be so gracious to share with me about the week.

It might mean less sleep and a messy house, but let's be real. I haven't had a full night's sleep in almost 5 months and my spiritual gift is not housekeeping. But the stories of God working in my friends' hearts (and probably an extra cup of coffee) will rejuvenate and energize me for the days to come.

God is full of goodness. My heart is full of joy. 

Laundry can wait.





No comments:

Post a Comment