Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Choose joy!

Good morning! I've never been able to say that in a post because I usually hit the publish button at some ridiculous hour after midnight. So I guess, technically, those have been written in the morning too. Today, however, I've chosen to entertain the sweet little one on the bed beside me until she drifts off for her first nap. Whenever that may be.

We don't have strict routines in our house. Never have. Probably never will. My husband and I are very laid back. With his unorthodox hours at work and our involvement with high school and college students, it would be nearly impossible to stick to the same schedule every day.

There is one thing that sends both of our blood pressures through the roof. Traffic. And drivers who apparently never read the book before they took their permit tests at age fifteen. Impatience engulfs the car when we're behind a slow car in the fast lane or a driver who refuses to believe that it is, in fact, legal to turn right on red. So yesterday, when we had a babysitting offer that presented us with a spur of the moment date night, heavy traffic tried to put an end to it.

As we rushed across town from the babysitter to the movie theater, the Lord began to teach me a lesson. He tries to do that a lot when I'm in a hurry, but rarely will I listen. Yesterday, He spoke louder. Or probably just quieted all the other noise in my heart and mind so that I would hear His still, small voice. He brought to mind a sermon that I heard years ago about the Providence of God.

When we are in right relationship with Him, communicating regularly and seeking to know Him more, God will guide our steps and direct our paths. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6). So if it is true that He will direct my paths when I acknowledge His sovereignty and goodness, then I believe that this means in everyday life. Not just the big decisions. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think we are puppets on a string, but I do believe that my God is big and in control.

As we stopped at yet another red light downtown, I thought about the application of this in real life. God can intervene in our plans at anytime. Like when I'm trying to leave the house on time, but the baby spits up a dozen times and we both have to change clothes twice before actually leaving, making us an hour late to a friend's house. And while I am flustered and angry on the way there, I arrive to find out that everyone else is late, and had I been "on time" I would've been waiting. For an hour. So my mindset goes from angry to thankful. So thankful that the Lord knew I would not need to be there when I planned and threw a kink in MY plan. That's small. I know.

But what about the times that He directs my paths and I don't ever get to see what He was having me avoid? When the car in front of me stops at a yellow light which I most certainly would have gone through, and at the next intersection a truck is running a red light. I may never see the catastrophe that He kept me from. Maybe I'll only see the diversion He put in the way. And I am so busy focusing on how this affects my agenda that I miss out on praising Him for a miracle.

With all that being said, I'm changing my outlook on life. Instead of getting mad or frustrated at the small kinks in my plans, I will choose to praise God for whatever He's doing. I realize that this will take tons of practice. And it will probably be easier for me to implement in my husband's life when he needs it. Sorry, Rob! But my first act in this new way of thinking is to commit some scripture to memory. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." This blew my mind when the Lord gave it to me.

I have a choice.
I can choose anger or I can choose joy.
I can choose to focus on the kink or I can choose to focus on God's goodness.
I can choose pouting or I can choose praise.

I choose joy!

Perhaps you find your plans throughout the day being interrupted. If it tends to ruffle your feathers more than it should, I challenge you to stop and praise the Lord. Praise Him for who He is! Praise Him for whatever He is doing behind the scenes. Choose joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment